Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Pie

I need to start by saying that I take absolutely no credit for this recipe. It's so simple to make that I also have a hard time priding myself on execution. That being said, this is a great Key Lime Pie recipe and will definitely impress a crowd.

My mom discovered Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice when I was growing up and hasn't made a key lime pie any other way since. The juice can be found in your local grocery store and the pie recipe is right on the bottle. You'll have over half the bottle left after making the pie so check out their website (http://www.keylimejuice.com/Old) which has a slew of other great recipes to use up the remainder. I found that it makes for a great margarita (3-oz tequila, 1-oz each triple sec, simple syrup, and lime juice).

To make the pie, beat together one 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk with three egg yolks (no whites), and 1/2 cup of Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice. I add a couple drops of green food coloring too to give it a nice, limey color. Pour this into a 9" graham cracker crust (I buy the pre-made variety at the store) and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly (about 10 minutes) then refrigerate. I like to top mine with homemade whipped cream and toasted coconut. It's delicious all by itself though!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment