Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Brother Would Be Proud


First of all, I want to apologize for my recent hiatus from blogging. I'm sure you all were just STARVING without my blog (haha). A little update to explain my whereabouts: I went on a vacation to Indiana to kick off the summer (annual Indy 500 trip with the Graberts), then I jumped head-first into an intense, month-long certification program to get my TEFL Certificate (Teach English as a Foreign Language), and finally I spent about a week in Colorado celebrating my dad's birthday (aka, the 4th of July), helping my mom remodel the kitchen, and seeing some close friends (one of whom got married- congrats Aubrie!). So as you can see, I didn't have much time for cooking or blogging. But now here I am, back in Boston, unemployed, and ready to blog. My first post-hiatus post is the perfect summer lunch- it incorporates fresh produce, requires no cooking, and it will not ruin your bathing suit body. The recipe itself is simple, so I will digress about the exceptional health benefits (hence the title, my brother would be proud).

I'm a girl that can rarely go a meal without carbs, but there are so many whole wheat alternatives out there that breads and pastas aren't all that bad for you. The base of my lunch was a whole wheat pita. The brand I bought also has flax and oat bran. One pita only has 60 calories, 2 grams of fat, and only 3% of your daily carbohydrate allowance. Added benefits of the pita- 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber (that's about 15% of your daily needs, which doesn't make the carbohydrates so daunting) I stuffed the pita with sliced baby carrots, cucumber, a handful of baby spinach leaves, and a couple slices of jarred red pepper for added sweetness. The veggies alone give you another 15% of your daily fiber, a good portion of the vitamins your body needs (Vitamins A, K, and C, Calcium, Iron, Folic Acid, and Magnesium), and a mere 20 calories or so. I also spread a a couple tablespoons of hummus in the pita. This adds a nice creaminess, great flavor, and a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 are our diets good fats because of their ability to lower bad cholesterol and blood pressure while also strengthening our immune and nervous systems. If hummus isn't your thing, you can also get Omega-3s from other pita stuffers like canned tuna or smoked salmon.

My pita sandwich clocked in at right around 150 calories, which meant I got to have a little something on the side. Tis' the season for strawberries, so I sliced a couple over 6 ounces (or so) of vanilla flavored Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt one of my favorite snacks and is always in my fridge. For one, it keeps well (over a month) and is so much more thick and creamy than regular yogurt. The health benefits of it over regular yogurt is insane. In one serving, Greek yogurt has four times as much protein (about 20 grams versus 5 grams) and about 10 grams less of sugar. Not to mention no fat (look for 0% Chobani brand). The Greek variety may be a few cents more expensive but worth every penny. Plain Greek yogurt is also a great alternative to sour cream and can live up to mayo when used in salads (think chicken salad, tuna salad, etc...).

My lunch contributed about 300 calories, about half of the protein I need today, and less than 10 grams of fat. It was also very filling and a perfect light meal for a hot summer day. I heard once that the more colors your meal involves, the better. Just looking at the above picture makes me feel good about my choices. Summer is the season to think colorful, so next time you go to the grocery store make sure you cart does a box of crayons justice. Your body will thank you for your colorful choices. Until next time, happy eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment