Sunday, September 25, 2011

Broncos Lose, Fish Tacos Win!


After a disappointing loss on football Sunday, I thought a bright, fresh meal shared with good friends might alleviate some of the dismay. I was right. Filling and refreshing fish tacos was just what I needed to make this Sunday a win in my books.

I've blogged about fish tacos before, but tonight's version has got to be my favorite one yet. This has the perfect mix of flavors and textures and is a recipe I will use in the future for all of my fish taco endeavors.

What made these tacos stand out from the previous ones was the mango salsa and the seasoned cilantro crema. The mango salsa brings a sweetness to the otherwise savory taco, and the color from the salsa brings life to the plate. The crema brings balance to the taco and counteract the other sweet, spicy, and salty elements.

For the mango salsa, I used a basic pico de gallo mix of diced tomato (about 3 medium tomatoes), 1/2 a red onion (minced), a good handful of chopped cilantro, juice from 1/2 lime, salt and pepper, and one jalepino (minced) if you like it spicy. To the salsa, add about 1 cup of diced mango.

For the crema, mix about 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/4 cup of mayo with the juice from 1/2 a lime. Stir in a good handful of chopped cilantro, a couple garlic cloves (minced or crushed) and a tablespoon or so of taco seasoning.

Another important element for these tacos was getting a good crisp on the tortillas. Heat each tortilla on a griddle until the outside starts to brown and crisp up. The crispier tortilla will hold up well with all the stuff you put inside and the crunchy-ness adds a new texture to the plate.

Finally- the fish. You can use any type of mild white fish you have. I used sol. Tilapia, mahi mahi, and cod are all good choices, too. I dredged the fish fillets in a flour-salt-and-pepper mixture and pan fried it until golden. The fish can really be cooked however you like it- pan fried, grilled, oven baked, etc.

Build the taco to your desire. I like you smear a crisp tortilla with a good spoonful of crema, put the warm fish fillet on top of that, then cover with mango salsa, chopped lettuce or cabbage for crunch, and a sprinkling of cojita cheese.

One bite will transport you to a happy place where football losses and the weekends' ending don't matter. Enjoy, and have a beautiful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment