Friday, July 26, 2013

Where Has the Summer Gone?

Finishing my masters
Teaching English to foreign adult-students
Training for a marathon (and this just in, a mini-triathlon, too)
Learning how to swim for said triathlon
Teaching spinning
Planning my wedding 
Contemplating my next move...

...Those are all the things I'm doing right now. Oops, I forgot to add "making people pity me." JK. I promise I'm not complaining. I like my life jam-packed. Idle time and I don't get along well. But needless to say I'm busy. I have been able to squeeze in a couple summer time treats. The annual Indy 500 trip was awesome as always. A little cooler than usual which was nice, and for those of you who don't follow racing, Tony Kannan won which was a long time coming and I great feat to witness. I've also made it to the Cape a couple times. Once when my brother visited (he laughs that I call it "the Cape." I've become such a New Englander). And technically we didn't even go to "the Cape." We went to "the Vineyard," as in Martha's Vineyard. It was my first time there and I loved it. Quaint. Quiet. Quintessential. There isn't anything better in the summer than spending the day at the beach, picking up fresh swordfish on the way home, and barbecuing outside. The second Cape visit was when my parents visited around the 4th of July (aka my dad's birthday, aka the day before my wedding plus one year). One notable foodie adventure was a place called the Glass Onion in Falmouth, MA. Upscale, delicious food without the pretentious atmosphere. Good wine. Great company. Lots to celebrate...After my parents' visit, things have been pretty low key around here. Some day trips to the beach. Backyard barbecues (ok, front stoop barbecues). Tackling the aforementioned list of things to do. Speaking of...I have some things I need to do :) So until next time, I'll leave you with a photo montage of my summer so-far...

How to Make a Dang Good Margarita (See Below)


Beer Sampling @ BigWoods in Indiana


How to Make a Dang Good Salad (See Below)


Cherry Pie for the Star-Spangled Birthday Boy

Port on the Port (in Falmouth, MA)

Grilling things in Foil Packets. Yum!

A Wicked Hot Game @ Fenway on the 4th of July

Fireworks over Boston. Beautiful


Dang Good Margarita: Step one, don't buy mix. Step two, buy good tequila (100% agave). Step three, fresh squeezed lemon, lime, and orange juice (one lemon, one lime, half an orange per marg). Pour juice, a couple shots of tequila, and a shot of Grand Marnier or orange liquor over ice. Shake it up, pour it into a rock glass (with a salted rim if that's your thing- it's definitely my thing), and top it off with club soda. Lime flavored sparkling water is really good here, but any variety works. 

Dang Good Salad: Step one, don't buy dressing (that's the only smart-alec step I have for this one). The key to a really good (family style) salad is layering the ingredients and not over dressing it (and not using bottles dressing, as mentioned). Start by cutting up your salad fixings and tossing it together in a big bowl. Lettuce, mixed greens, cucumber, bell pepper, carrots, tomato...whatever you like in a salad is fair game. Make sure everything is washed and dried. No one likes soggy salad. Next, sprinkle over a generous handful of parmesan cheese, and a not as generous handful of salt, pepper, and seasoning salt (if you have it). You can always add more seasoning, but not take it away. No one likes a salty salad. Right before you're ready to eat, drizzle some olive oil, red wine or rice vinegar (or both!), and juice from about half a lemon over the top. Again, use sparingly. You can always adjust later. Use your hands to toss the salad (please wash them first- your guests will thank you). Test-try a bite and see what it needs. More salt? More oil? It's your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment