Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Best Thing I Ever Ate


A couple months ago I got a new job located in an area of Boston that I hadn't really explored before. My office is located near the Boston Harbor in South Boston (or "Southie) as the locals call it. Every morning, I get to cross the bridge and breathe in the briny smell of the ocean, something I really enjoy and never got to experience in land-locked Colorado. And on my way home, I cross back over the bridge and admire the bright lights of the city skyline. It's these moments that make me feel grateful for Boston. Of course, there are the other moments- the ones when I cross the bridge and the wind gusts are so strong that they turn my umbrella inside out allowing the rain to pelt my face and ruin my hairdo. 

Another thing I'm grateful for about my new workplace is the hidden gem that is Flour Bakery and Cafe.  I am typically a bring-my-own-lunch kind of girl, but now that I've discovered Flour, all bets are off. I first heard about Flour from the Food Network on the show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." One chef was describing the sticky bun at Flour being the best thing she ever ate. I guess the chef hadn't tried Grandma Grabert's sticky buns. Grandma Grabert's stick buns have rum. In my book, sticky buns with rum always trump sticky buns without rum. But I digress, enough about sticky buns. What Flour really has going for them is their Sandwiches. Chicken, arugula, brie, roasted red peppers and caramelized onion. Lamb, tomato chutney, and goat cheese. Roast chicken, jicama, and avocado mash. Portobello mushroom, roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil pesto. All grilled, panini style, between two slices of fresh baked bread. Is your mouth watering yet? I think it's time for lunch.

The best thing about Flour? They have a cookbook. So if anyone is wondering what to get me for Christmas...

I hope you all have a delightful lunch spot near your workplace. If not, I invite you to try mine next time you find yourself crossing the bridge into South Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment