Friday, April 8, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza

This recipe is inspired by one of the best home chefs I know, Mrs. Kathy Brown. Her daughter, Katie, and I met durning high school and have been friends since. Every time I went over to Katie’s house, her mom always had something amazing going on in the kitchen. I liked this particular recipe so much that I requested she cater my 16th Birthday Party. She gratefully made two big, beautiful Barbeque Chicken Pizzas for my party. I’m sure my pizza will never be as great at hers but it is definitely still a crowd pleaser. It’s perfect for a Friday night, goes great with a cold beer, and any leftovers are just as tasty the next day.

Pizza Crust- One day I will master the perfect homemade pizza crust, but in the meantime I use the Pillsbury dough that you buy in a tube. It’s easy, tastes great for the price, and it’s kind of exciting to pop open! You can use any pizza crust you fancy though.

Follow the directions of whichever pizza crust you’re using. For the Pillsbury, I spread it out on a greased pizza pan or cookie sheet. You can go as thin or thick as you like, but I personally thing this untraditional type of pizza taste better with a thinner crust. You’ll top the pizza as is and bake it in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Now to the toppings…

#1: Equal parts of your favorite barbeque sauce mixed with your favorite tomato based pizza sauce. You won’t need more than a quarter cup of each. Spread a thick layer (I like a saucy pizza) down over the raw pizza dough. Leave some exposed “crust” along the edges.

#2: Chicken. I like all white meat chicken breast. It’s good for you and goes well with the other flavors on the pizza. Salt and pepper the chicken then grill it up or bake it until cooked through. Cut it into bite-size chunks and toss it with a couple tablespoons of barbeque sauce. This will bring home the barbeque flavor and will also keep the chicken moist while the pizza bakes.

#3: Red Onion. Thinly slice a generous handful of red onion. I used one-half of a medium red onion. Then sprinkle over the pizza.

#4: Cheese. My favorite is part smoked gouda, part mozzarella. The gouda brings a great, rich flavor to the pizza and the mozzarella provides the melty-ness every pizza needs. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup cheese mixture over the pizza, more for cheese lovers.

Bake the pizza as directed by the crust you’re using. If the edges start to brown before the cheese melts, rim the crust with aluminum foil for the last few minutes.

Once the pizza comes out of the oven, I like to sprinkle it with chipped cilantro and a barbeque sauce drizzle.

Slice, eat, and enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment