Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Sauce That Keeps On Giving


I've played around with making my own pasta sauces quite a bit, but between the extra work and the forgettable flavor, I usually ended up opting for the jarred variety. It all changed the day I made this sauce. I came across the recipe in the March 2011 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. The sauce was part of the lasagna recipe which I made in full for Michael's 28th Birthday. The lasagna was delicious but it was the sauce that really hooked me. It was simple and so flavorful. It was great in the lasagna and just as great over a bowl of spaghetti. This is definitely my new go-to for pasta sauces. In fact, I may never reach for the jar again.

Start by chopping up one medium onion and a couple of good-sized carrots. Toss this into a large stock pot at medium heat with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Also into the pot add a tablespoon of "ground" fennel seeds. I don't own a spice mill or a mortar and pestle, so I "grind" it by gently running a sharp knife through the seeds. I think my roommate has been known to put the fennel seeds in a plastic baggie and take a hammer to it, which actually might be the most efficient (and fun!) method of all. And it's okay if a few seeds are left whole. Once the veggies start to get soft (about 5 minutes) add in 2-3 cloves of crush garlic (I use a garlic press, but mincing it up would work too) and about 1 lb of ground Italian turkey or chicken sausage. If the sausage is in casing, make sure you strip the meat from the casing first. You can also use pork sausage or ground beef too, but keep in mind these higher fat meats let off a lot of grease while cooking. To keep your sauce from getting greasy, I recommend cooking pork or beef separately, drain the grease off, then add the cooked meat during a later step in the sauce making process. If you've never tried turkey or chicken sausage, pick some up next time you're at the store. It packs the same flavor and texture without the calories and fat.

So let's assume you're using the chicken or turkey sausage- As it's cooking, break it up with a wooden spoon or a potato masher (another tip from Rachael Ray). Once it is browned and cooked through (about 8 minutes) add 1/2 cup wine to the mix. When I made the lasagna, I used red wine in this step. This time, I used white. They were both great. Make sure you're using a wine that you would normally drink. People often think they can use "cheap" wine when cooking but it's actually quite the contrary. When you cook with wine, all the alcohol cooks off so all you're left with is the true flavor. Another thing wine is good for is deglazing the pan. All the browned bits from the previous ingredients will release once the wine is added. It's a great way to bring all the flavors together. Let the wine cook off for a couple minutes, then add your final ingredients- 2 28-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped (fresh) basil, and 2 tablespoons chopped (fresh) oregano. The tomatoes can be any brand of your choosing, I have yet to find a favorite. I do recommend springing for the fresh herbs because they really bring a homemade flavor to the sauce. In a pinch, dried herbs will do. I would change the proportions to about 2 tablespoons basil and 1 tablespoon oregano if you're using dried.

Now that everything is incorporated, all you have to do is let the flavors marinate together. Turn the heat to low and let the pot of sauce simmer for the next 10 minutes or so. I will forewarn you- this recipe makes about 8 cups (maybe more!) of sauce. Thats about 4 jars of store bought kind. For a more manageable portion, just cut all the ingredients in half. I promise it will taste just as good.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment