Monday, April 11, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and Sweet Potato Fries


This was a super simple meal for a Monday night, and spicy enough to keep things exciting. Today was probably the hottest day of the year so far, so a summery meal like a chicken sandwich, fries, and an ice cold beer sounded perfect. I didn't know exactly how to go about the hot wing style sandwich, so I enlisted a little help from my friend (or so I like to think) Rachael Ray and her recipe from Food Network.com

I started by coating sandwich-size portions of chicken breast (roughly one pound total) with salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder. I pan fried this over medium heat in some olive oil for about 5 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, toast up a couple of crusty rolls or hamburger buns. I used what I had on hand, but I would definitely recommend something substantial enough to soak up all the sauce that comes with these sandwiches. You could also choose to melt down some jack or provolone cheese on the buns, although this is not necessary.

Once the chicken is cooked, coat in a mixture of about 1-2 tablespoons melted butter and about 1/4 cut of your favorite hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce-I like Franks.

Now you're read to assemble the sandwiches. Start with one half of your toasted roll, top with a tablespoon or so of ranch or blue cheese dressing, a nice piece of Boston bib lettuce, a portion of your buffalo chicken and the remaining half of your roll.

This would be great served with some raw veggies on the side (think celery, carrots, radish), but I happened to have a sweet potato on hand to make some fries. Sweet potatoes are a great alternate to other potato varieties because they are packed with antioxidants such as Vitamins A and C among other nutrients. Here is a little food for thought I heard once upon a time (although I cannot remember where): the more vibrant the vegetable, the better it likely is for you. Remember that when picking your potatoes. A nice bright sweet potato is exponentially better for you than a starchy, white russet potato.

To make my sweet potato fries in a pinch, I preheat my oven to 425 degrees. Peel the potatoes if you'd like and slice into fry-size portions. I usually account for half a potato per person. Spread them on a cookie sheet lined with foil (for easy clean up) and drizzle with olive oil. Spice them up to your liking. A simply salt and pepper will do, but I personally like a little heat (red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper) and a little sweetness from a pinch or two of cinnamon. Toss to coat and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. This creates for a softer fry because you're cooking them for a short time at a high temperature. If you have the time and like a crispier fry, cook them at a lower temp (about 325 degrees) for a longer time (45 minutes to an hour).

Mike's recommended drink pairing- an icy cold Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Although this is his favorite brew with any meal, he thinks the full bodied, hoppy ale nicely balances the spicy sauce. It's the perfect 1-2 combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment