Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Kitchen Sink Stir Fry


Stir fry is one of those great go-to meals that can incorporate everything but the kitchen sink. I made it one way in this recipe, but I've probably made it differently every other time. This one incorporates red and yellow bell peppers, broccoli, chicken, and a sweet and spicy sauce. I served it all over brown rice. So scour your fridge, see what extra veggies you have, track down some chicken, shrimp, beef, or tofu and you're well on your way to a Kitchen Sink Stir Fry.

To begin, prep your veggies by cutting them into bit-sized pieces. You don't want it too small that it's going to get lost in the sauce, but you don't want it too big to eat in one bit. That's a beauty of stir fry- no cutting necessary. You want a cup of veggies per person you're feeding. I used two peppers and a head of broccoli. With the chicken and rice, this made about 4 servings. Leftovers are great too, so don't be afraid to make a lot.

For the chicken, start by cutting up about one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1" pieces. Again- think bite size. I like to add the chicken to a quick marinade of a couple cloves of minced garlic, chopped onion (I like using either 1 shallot or a few green onions), soy sauce, olive oil, S&P, and if you like it spicy- a little Sriracha or hot chili sauce. I find I always have these things on hand so this is a good base. I was feeling creative, so to the marinating chicken I added about 1/4 cup of pineapple juice and 1 tablespoon of red curry paste (I had it on hand from the coconut-curry dish last week). What would also be good in here is some fresh minced ginger. I only had ginger powder so that worked as a substitution. If you have time, let the chicken sit in this marinade (in the fridge) for 1-24 hours. If you don't have time, the flavors will marry together when cooked so no biggie. This is what I did and it turned out fine.

Heat a large skillet or wok to medium- high heat. Add the chicken with the marinade and let cook until the outside of all the chicken looks cooked (about 5 minutes). Now, add your veggies and let cook until soft when pricked with a fork. This should take about 5 minutes more. Make sure everything is cooked through and seasoned to your taste buds and you're done. See, wasn't that easy? Serve this over any rice you choose (I like brown for it's health advantages) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment